Do Over

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

You Can Soften Your Edge Without Losing Your Way

No doubt, the crash of my marriage was more of a beginning than an end. I gained more than I lost. I can look back and shudder to think that could have been me, my life, my forever.

But there are things I gave up, too. There are things I miss and want. These things fall into the category of 'the life I was on track for':

I should not live in a rented apartment with neighbors who play too-loud mariachi music, neighbors who throw cigarettes all over the deck, neighbors who have loud parties on Wednesday nights. I should live in a house with my husband and it should be the second one we own together.

I should be like my friend who calls her husband on the way home from work to say she forgot her house key, she needs him to let her in. I should not be the woman who frantically checks her purse three times every time she closes the door because if she forgets the key, there's nobody to let her in.

I should be like my friend who spent the first 70-degree Wednesday of the season walking, with her husband, to the park in their new neighborhood to watch people and then share corn on the cob from a paper bag and say everything in this neighborhood is like a holiday, a carnival, a festival.

I should be closer to being like my friend who is collects friends by guaging the ages of their offspring; plotting playdates

I should belong to a book club that sometimes meets at my more domestic and less single home. My fridge should contain makings for said book club instead of single-serve containers.

And I should be ready to consider moving toward that kind of sharing. When I let myself be convinced to explore the possibilities of dating, I see men like this:

A guy with broad shoulders and a strong jaw and a manly job and a golden retriever who "doesn't play games" and wants a partner to run with, spend Saturday mornings with, cook with.

A guy from australia with a job in finance and a great wardrobe.

A guy who plays vollryball on saturdays and builds shelves in his closet on the weekends.

A guy who with a wine collection and a 401k.

But I don't know how to do this. I don't know how to let go of this lock that says it's really not a safe idea, this throwing caution to the wind and giving out my phone number, my secrets, my heart.

1 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger The Wife Who Knows said...

I see you dropped out for a while too.

I'm working up the courage to finish my story -- I haven't written in months out of respect for my (newfound/tentative/fleeting/choose-your-hedging-adjective) bliss. It took me a while to realize that we make our own "happily ever afters," and that real life has nothing to do with the handsome prince fairy tales they sold us when we were 12.

Still, it's getting to be time to put a period on it. Soon.

I'm glad you're well. When it's time to jump off the cliff again, you'll know it. In the meantime, relish your freedom.

TWWK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home