Do Over

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Good Night and Good Morning

“Today” started at 6am Tuesday. I can’t figure out how many hours ago that was (I really did try) but it’s been a time warp and I officially lost a calendar day somewhere in the blur of research sessions, rushing, California Pizza Kitchen, airports, airplanes, backpacks, and a van through bumpy roads China, the next stop.

The highlight of the journey was also the lowpoint: the Cathay Pacific lounge at the Hong Kong Airport. A shower under the giant rainmaker mounted in the ceiling. Little bottles of gentle chamomile cleanser, refreshing ginger toner and cool mint moisturizer. Fresh.

With a clear head, I sat in a huge chair and watched my inbox fill up. Bold, unopened subject lines piling up. A whole day of missed messages. Thrilling. And after I scanned the list, I had my first sinking moment of lonely traveler. All but a few: work-related, anxiety-producing.

Here’s the difference between having a partner and not: an entire day can get lost, swallowed in travel, and there isn’t anyone tracking you from the ground, waiting for you to land so you can reconnect. Waiting to hear about how the airport had that very same kind of bulk candy you bought together in Vancouver on your honeymoon.

Now digesting Mianyang, China. I dreaded coming, referred to it as the leg of the trip to “just get through.” Filled my suitcase with germkillers.

It’s beautiful. The agricultural capitol of the country. Two hours of lush countryside, crop gatherers, rivers, stone bridges and giant farmhouses from the airport.. Clean and pollution-free. When I wake up, I’ll appreciate this.

2 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Scott Hess said...

Hey! I'm tracking your progress, you and the kid you're traveling with! I may not be waiting for you at the airport when you come home, but I'll be happy to see you in the office in about a week. Godspeed, weary traveler...

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Scott Hess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home